Add a touch of Disney magic to your breakfast with this delicious Tonga Toast recipe!
Take your regular french toast to another level with this delicious treat featuring banana stuffed sourdough bread, battered deep-fried and dusted with cinnamon-sugar. So good!!
You can usually find it at Kona Cafe and Capt. Cook’s at Disney’s Polynesian Resort but now you can make it at home and have it any day you want. Just take a look at the easy recipe:
TONGA TOAST RECIPE
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cup of whole milk
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 quart canola oil, for frying
- 1 loaf sourdough bread (uncut, 12 inches long)
- 2 large bananas, peeled
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl (large enough to roll toast) with a fork until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
- Whip eggs in medium bowl (large enough to dip toast) until well beaten. Add milk, cinnamon, and sugar. Mix well and set aside.
- Using caution, preheat oil to 350F in a large pot or a deep fryer. (If using a large pot, use candy thermometer to make certain the oil does not get any hotter or it will burn).
- Slice the bread into four three-inch thick slices.
- Cut each banana in half crosswise, then each piece lengthwise.
- Place a bread slice flat on the counter and tear out just enough from the middle (do not tear all the way through) to stuff half a banana into; repeat with each bread slice.
- Dip stuffed bread into batter, covering both sides, allowing excess batter to drip off bread and place carefully in hot oil.
- Cook for about 4-5 minutes until golden brown. If needed, turn toast over after 2 minutes and cook for another 2 minutes on other side. Remove and drain excess oil.
- Roll toast in cinnamon-sugar. Repeat for each piece of toast.
Credit: Disney Parks