Put a tropical twist to your regular burger with this Hawaiian Cheeseburger with Green Papaya Slaw recipe!
This dish is a very popular one at Tangaroa Terrace at the Disneyland Resort and we can totally see why, this burger is extremely tasty!
There’s no need to wait until this restaurant is open again because you can make this delicious cheeseburger at home! Take a look at the recipe from Disney Parks:
- 2 cups of pineapple juice
- 4 tbsp of mango juice
- 2 tbsp of canola oil
- 2 tbsp of lime juice
- 2 tbsp of mirin (sweet Asian wine)
- 2 tbsp of rice vinegar
- 2 tsp of honey
- 1/2 tsp of mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp of fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp of sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp of coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp of onion powder
- 1/4 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of sriracha (Asian chili sauce)
- 1/8 tsp of ground ginger
Green Papaya Slaw
- 3/4 pound of green papaya, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 pound of jicama, peeled and shredded
- 2 celery stalks, sliced diagonally into 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch long pieces
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1/8 inch strips
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, stems removed and chopped
- Coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp of cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp of cold water
- 1/8 tsp of crushed red pepper
- 12 pieces of bacon
- 6 fresh pineapple rings
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 pounds of lean ground beed, shaped into 6 equal patties
- 6 whole grain hamburger buns, lightly toasted
- 6 slices of havarti cheese
- 6 pieces of iceberg lettuce
- 6 slices of ripe tomato
For Slaw Dressing
- Place pineapple juice in a small saute pan over medium heat. Simmer until reduces to 1/4 cup.
- Combine pineapple juice reduction, mango juice, oil, lime juice, mirin, vinegar, honey, mustard powder, fish sauce, sesame oil, salt, onion powder, pepper, sriracha, and ground ginger in a blender. Puree until smooth, then refrigerate until ready to use.
For Green Papaya Slaw
- Combine the shredded papaya, jicama, celery, bell pepper and cilantro in a large bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper. Toss with dressing 30 minutes before serving.
For Teriyaki Sauce
- Combine brown sugar and soy sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl, stirring until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Add cornstarch mixture to soy sauce mixture; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Remove from heat, cover and keep warm.
- Cook bacon in a saute pan over medium heat until crisp. Place on a plate lined with paper towels; set aside.
- Season pineapple on both sides with salt and pepper. Sear pineapple in a grill pan or saute pan over medium heat, about 3 to 5 minutes. Then set aside.
- Season both sides of beef patties with salt and pepper. Cook in a grill pan or sauce pan over medium-high heat, until cooked through. Just before burgers are done, place a piece of cheese on top of each patty and allow to melt. Add pineapple and bacon on top of cheese.
- Place lettuce on the bottom halves of buns and top each with a slice of tomato. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Place cheeseburger on top of tomato. Drizzle with teriyaki sauce and top with top half of bun. Serve with green papaya slaw.
Credit: Disney Parks