Have you ever realized just how many references there are to “pop culture” in the World of Warcraft games? Well, there are LOTS! If you’re like me, you’ll find this stuff fascinating. Some of these things are way obvious, but some of them are pretty obscure. It makes you wonder…did these guys deliberately sit around and put these references in, or were they just a natural result of being a part of today’s society? Either way, it makes for some pretty interesting reading, and it will definitely get you watching for more references (because I’m not gonna tell you all of them in this article – maybe not even in ANY article….mmwwaahahaha).
Ok, back to the real me…or WAS that the real me? Anyway, let’s get started with the pop culture references. But where to start? Warcraft? Warcraft II? Warcraft III? World of Warcraft? The Burning Crusade? Yes, it’s true. They’ve ALL got loads of pop culture references. But let’s start at the beginning, shall we? Since they started out light, we will too. But not to worry – there are plenty more where these come from!
In Warcraft: Humans and Orcs, to enable cheat mode, you type “Corwin of Amber. Corwin is a character in a series of books called The Chronicles of Amber, by Roger Zelazny.
But we’re just getting started! Let’s move on to Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness. 1. The sound effects of the sword fighting are taken directly from the soundtrack of the Black Knight scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
2. The cheat code for unlimited mana and all spells researched is “every little thing she does”. This, of course, is a line from the Police song “Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic”. Cool, huh?
3. How about this… “onscreen” is a map cheat code and “makeitso” is a fast build cheat. If those phrases sound familiar, it’s because they are frequently used by Captain Picard on Star Trek TNG! Also from the show, “It is a good day to die”, a Klingon proverb, is an invulnerability cheat. The REAL origin of that phrase, though, lies in Greek history. At the Battle of Thermopylae. Leonidas’ army had no chance of winning against the Persians, and this phrase is what he said to the Persian emissary who came to ask for his surrender.
Now on to Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos/The Frozen Throne. If I listed them all here, this article would go on forever. However, I will list some of the one I personally find particularly hilarious.
o “Nananananananana… ME!!” -Troll Batrider (Batman)
o “Look! In the Sky! It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s me!” -Windrider (Superman)
o “Mortar Kombat!” -Dwarven Mortar Team (Mortal Kombat)
o “I stole your precious” -Spellbreaker (Gollum in LOTR)
o “In the depths, no one can hear you scream. Well…they can, but it’s really muffled.” -Naga Royal Guard (famous line from Alien…sorta…LOL)
o “There is no Banshee, only ZUUL!” -Banshee (Sigourney Weaver again, this time in Ghostbusters)
o “There is no spoon.” This cheat for unlimited mana comes from The Matrix.
o “Say hello to my little friend.” -Troll Headhunter (Al Pacino in Scarface)
o “keysersoze” is a cheat code to get extra gold. It refers, of course, to the movie The Usual Suspects, in which Keyser Soze is the mysterious crime boss…*wink*.
o Monty Python and the Holy Grail: these are just a few…
* “I never say NI!” -Knight (The Knights who say Ni)
* “Help! Help! I’m being repressed!” -Peasant (Dennis the constitutional peasant)
* “You’re the king? Well, I didn’t vote for you!” -Peasant (The Fifth Harvesting Peasants)
* “We have a witch! May we burn her?” -Peasant (witch burning scene)
* “It’s only a flesh wound!” -Footman (The Black Knight)
o Star Wars…just giving you a limited few here, too…
* “Once you head down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Plus, you got dental.” -Acolyte (Yoda – sorta…LOL)
* “We aren’t the Dryads you’re looking for.” (“These aren’t the droids you’re looking for” -Episode IV)
* “At last we shall have revenge” -Demon Hunter (Darth Maul – Episode I)
o “I see dead people” -Far Seer
“Me eat dead people” -Ghoul
“I see undead people” -Necromancer
(All, of course, references to Haley Joel Osment’s proclamation in The Sixth Sense).
o “Click me baby, one more time” -Sorceress (Britney Spears)
o “Shot through the heart, and I’m to blame” -Archer (Bon Jovi)
o “Where I lay my head is home! You see that rock? That’s my pillow!” -Rexxar (Metallica…sorta…LOL)
o “My tiger is trained for war. He’s grrrrreat!” -Huntress (Tony the Tiger)
o “D’oh” -Annoyed Peasant / “Doe” -Annoyed Dryad (Homer Simpson)
o “Fukui-san!” “Yes, go ahead.” “What the Iron Troll is doing right now is putting heads in a pot. They have to boil for 20 minutes so the eyes can be used in a second dish, an eye and raspberry sorbet.” “Mmmm, Sounds good!” -Troll Witch Doctor (Iron Chef spoof)
o “This is my owl. There are many like it, but this one is mine”. (Full Metal Jacket and Jarhead)
o “Only you can prevent forest fires” -Druid of the Claw (Smokey the Bear)
This is by no means an exhaustive list of references in the above-mentioned WoW worlds. And I haven’t even gotted STARTED on World of Warcraft itself, which I will have to put into its very own article, since there are so very many references. Look for references to: Fashion, Games, Comics, Movies, Music, Holidays, Sports, TV, and tons of other stuff in the next Pop Cultures article!